For the sponge
8 oz Butter
8 oz Caster sugar
8 oz Self raising flour ( Minus 4 Tablespoons flour)
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the butter icing
8 oz icing sugar (sieved)
4 oz butter
few drops of vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees - I never use a fan setting when I'm baking
2. Grease and flour two 8" sandwich tins
3. Beat together the butter and sugar, the longer you can beat the mixture the lighter the sponge will be.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Don't worry if the mixture starts to curdle slightly, it will all come good.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder to the flour and stir in. Add enough hot water to the remaining cocoa to make a smooth slightly runny paste and beat into the cake mix, this will make the sponge nice and moist.
6. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
7. Divide the mix between the two sandwich tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the sponges are cooked ( the sponge will come away from the sides of the tin when it is done).
8. Cool for five minutes then turn out on to a cooling rack.
9. Beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract, again the longer you can beat it the better.
10. Add the milk a few drops at a time till the icing is nice and soft but not too runny.
11. When the sponge is completely cooled sandwich together with the butter icing and dust the top with icing sugar.
Voila! Elysia's Oreo cake - enjoy!